Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Birdhouses - lots of Birdhouses!!!

Hallo,
Lots of pictures to show you today of my little herd of birdhouses...
I started out planning to make one of these for a friend who likes the beach - then another, and one for myself, then.....well anyhow I ended up with 7 big ones and 2 small ones.
I have been working on these for a couple weeks now - I had planned for them to be Christmas presents but really am out of extra storage room, besides I can see no reason for everyone not to enjoy them now....

These started as just plain wood birdhouses from A.C. Moore - first I painted them all a nice deep aquamarine blue (letting dry overnight between all these next steps). Next a coat of crackle finish, followed by the turquoise paint.
I then added the thick tan colored crackle paste to the bottoms to look like sand.
The roofs are done with the 'faux rusty metal' technique from Technique Junkies - only I then ran them through a texture folder on my cuttlebug and swiped some black acrylic paint over the texture.
The seashells are stamps from Gina K and I did several 8X11 sheets of them - colored them with copics and cut them all out......that took a loonnnggg time!!!!
I then attatched the seashells to the birdhouses with mod podge, and the roof of each as well.
Lastly I painted a coat of outdoor sealant over each of the birdhouses so they would be more durable. Not sure if I will try mine outside or not......probably not.....
I am hoping to get these mailed out on thursday and my next big project is to do some reorganizing in my craft room......
All for today - a couple hours sleep is in order for me and then we will see what I can get started in the craft room....


Take Care
Tera



































































2 comments:

Maggie said...

Very neat! I love the beach too :)

Willow said...

These are beautiful Tera!!! They so evoke the seaside!! Looking at them, i can smell the salt water air!! You did an incredible job!! Sorry it took so long to see them, I am just a wee bit behind on my emails...