Sunday, June 10, 2012

Encaustic Fun!!!!

 Hallo,
   Another rainy day here in NW Florida - just popping in to show you a my projects from a class I took yesterday evening.
  I have been wanting to play with encaustic wax for some time now but didnt want to dive in without learning a bit more and it is just as addicting as I feared :)!!!!
  My only saving grace is that I really don't have the room or budget for full scale fun. After some serious computer time in the middle of the night last night (side effect of being a night shift worker - sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep)  I discovered that I should be able to feed this new addiction on a small scale with my melting pot and some melt pigments from Ellen Hutson.....I even already have the melting pot and even have an old tempature controlled skillet that I had planned for UTEE that would work too - and Ellen even sells small bottles of wax.....we will have to see.....I really do need to finished off about a dozen and 1/2 projects already in mind/works before diving into this too, but it is nice to know I will be able to play on at least a small scale. Then maybe in a few years I will be able to go a bit bigger :)
I took this class at a local art gallery - Full Circle Gallery - www.fullcirclefwb.com
 from a local artist  Denielle Harmon. The classroom was great and the owner of the gallery provided snacks and drinks and the company was awesome!!! We were a small group of 8 - a couple of the gals had tried encaustic before and one of the gals does encaustic full scale. We had a diverse group of artists too - one of the ladies does pottery and another is a photographer and one is a teacher at a local High school - it was really cool to see what everyone came up with....sadly I didn't take any pictures, but the gallery owner took a few pics so once she posts them I will add a link here.
  The first one here was a practice piece but I liked how it turned out - I had brought some stuff for my main project and really should have brought more stuff but then again it was fun just playing with the wax too!!!
   The second piece was one I did inbetween waiting for my main piece to cool between layers and  I wasn't as pleased with this one.
The last piece was the one I liked the best - I had brought a small piece I had already done with an oriental type fairy stamp from Sweet Pea stamps and some washi papers, as well as 2 rubber stamps with oriental chops (oriental writing).
  I was kinda worried that the copic markers that I used on the fairy would bleed but they held up beautifull and show nicely through the wax!!!!  This main piece is 14 by 14 and the others are 8x8ish.
   All for this am - a shower and lunch and then I plan to play in my craft room for the afternoon - Happy Day!!!
    Take Care
         Tera
P.S  Here's a link to pics from the workshop on the Full Circle Gallery site - www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151026567145799.483918.70541470798&type=3

1 comment:

Beth Norman said...

Oh Tara your encaustic art is beautiful. I love each one, but I have to agree, the orange one is my favourite. Your sleepless nights are paying off.